- People can be plain rude. (You cant do anything about it. Grin and bear it.)
- Rich people doesn’t necessarily equate to bigger tip. There are rich people who leave the saddest tip, in pocket change. You’ll get a lot of orders, shouted at and they would usually leave without a tip. And then you sometimes get a senior citizen who who doesn’t know what to order and when you help them, you get a smile and a sincere thank you that brightens your day and could take up more than 5 mins of your time.
- You don’t know “tired”. On your feet for hours, running back and forth, carrying drinks and constantly getting yelled at from every direction. -whole day straight. (With a half hour lunch break and another half hour for afternoon break) And repeat.
- You try your hand in selling. On some occasions… in one instance I was forced to improve my Mandarin Chinese speaking skills. I sold avocado shakes to a Chinese tourist who apparently wants a buko pandan (coconut) shake. (Lesson learned. I drank the offending shake, and placed it on my tab.) Selling is an art! Learning it in action is invaluable. Instant assessment of your sales skill is awesome.
- Teamwork. I serve you mop, I wash, you do the cash register… If you slack, people will know.
- Patience. With people. Make that disrespectful strangers or co-crew members. Its one of the useful skills anyone can learn. Being able to do this takes a lot of effort, but having someone who treats you like the source of all their problems, and having to pretend to love listening to them complain, it does take a huge effort not to bash them in the head with the spatula. So, along the way you also learn self-control! hooray!
- Cleanliness is a way of life. Organized work station, and a mess-free floor are of utmost importance. Washing your hands will also be a habit.
- You learn to accept dropping all your standards of cool, by being degraded by your boss, being seen moping floors or wiping counters (so not glam), being forced to say awkward greetings. (“Hi, I’m insert-name-here, welcome to name-of-establishment-here, where everything is awesome all the time! Can I get you anything?”)