It’s a laundry day for me today. It is actually one of the house chores that I enjoy doing. Tossing our dirty clothes into a machine and have clothes come out clean. Easy. I even go watch a movie (on my pc) or cook while doing laundry!
Usually, I do laundry 3 times a week. I don’t want the (used) clothes to pile up on the (laundry) basket. But keeping all garments, sheets and towels at home clean isn’t always easy. So, I am sharing some of my “tricks” to make laundry day easier for you.
- Do laundry often. If you’ve been saving up your laundry all week to do in one go. It could get pretty boring, waiting for everything to be cleaned up and then having to hang everything to dry/loading everything in batches into the dryer…
My trick: Dividing the laundry into smaller chunks throughout the week (for example, towels washed today, pillow cases and sheets the next day, but for every laundry day you have to clear out whatever clothes is in the laundry basket.
- One load for each person.Its sometimes confusing to sort laundry, or get everything right according to what each family member likes-this holds true for large families.
My trick: Give each person their own laundry basket and only running one person’s clothes at a time. This gets everyone to choose their own detergent and fabric softener combination and eliminates the confusion of who owns what come laundry day. Again the trick I mentioned earlier is good for large families.
- Use baskets.Clothes on the couch, table, floor, etc. are not only unsightly, it is also unhygienic. Just toss clothes into the appropriate bin for a clean and organized look.
My trick: Take as many as you need. Be it sorted by white or color, or per person has their own… it is up to you.
- Turn clothes right side out before folding. This makes a big difference when fold a load of clothing, saves you time.
My trick: This also makes getting dressed easier!
- Put socks/small items in mesh bags.If your socks doesn’t match or you have trouble fin ding the other pair of your sock from the laundry, go buy a few zippered mesh bags! – Each person puts his or her socks/small items into their own mesh bag, zips it up and tosses it in the laundry. When the bags come out, the socks/small items are all together and ready to be returned to their rightful owner. Plus no more missing/mismatched socks!
My trick: Those mesh bags can also be used to wash small toys. Example: place all the lego in the mesh bag zip it and dump it in and viola, clean toys!
- Keep the washing machine fresh by leaving the door open after each load.Some washing machines have a tight seal, this tend to trap moisture after running a load of laundry. This can in turn give the machine a stinky smell or have mildew. Prevent this by leaving the machine door open after each load just to let out all that moisture.
My trick: You can also wipe it with a dry cloth to speed up the drying of your tub.
- Helpful household items are always good to have. Like transferring powder detergent/fabric softener into nice plastic jars, so you can see how much product is left. Make things look neat by placing your necessary laundry supplies inside a basket or give them a tray. This keeps your things together in one place and makes it easy to move/grab everything to use or clean. Also, buy some specialized household stuff like a huge clothes hanger with clips to hang dry the small clothes, socks..etc. A large hanger for bath towels and bed sheets, and some large clothespins for clipping towels or sheets. It will make your chore easier. And for the ladies there are also hangers that are specifically made for brasserie! Use them to avoid the bra foam from becoming deformed.
My trick: It is always better to have excess hangers than less hangers, more so in rainy season.